Discipline in Classrooms
~ better awareness
~ more choices
~ and better decisions.
- The children are capable - Give the SPACE to kids to manage and LEAD to find solution.
- Let me see -ALL intentions are positive - the actions may be not appropriate - so let me focus on their intentions.
- Lets do it together - We are "CO-CREATOR" of the problem so let us be co-creator of the solution. Root of any behaviour is somewhere else. So let us not "label" children.
For example just by taking the session on discipline and asking you to relax I cannot expect you to be 100% following. BUT i go with the belief that you are trying your best and may be you will need reminders but YOU ARE CAPABLE. This belief will lead me to have a positive attitude for you as faculty hence our repo will be better :) My relaxation does not guarantee that you will follow BUT my panic also does not guarantee that you will follow. Then why not be RELAX and think more to lead you to look at things differently rather than labeling you that "this person cannot relax". What say?
When we try to solve the problem and expect "results" we strain ourselves as faculty - while when we look at "let me see" and do things with relaxed mind - I am at peace. I look for more avenues, solutions, and more trials.
When I use discipline strategy - as a faculty I need to see that I am using VAK instructions in my sessions. During the session we all realize that A is over used while V and K are under used. So let us remind each other about V and K.
When I say use V and K - that does not mean use of A is not recommend. Wen you want to introduce something you use A, V and K all the ways and follow also in all the way.
Also as sandhya and padma pointed that we use our own style more - for example If am visual I tend to use more visual in my class - me as a faculty need to consciously bring in A and K in my approach.
When do you need to discipline?
Any act which leads to
- disturbing others
- harming the physical environment (tearing, breaking)
- hurting other
- Not following the codes to work together - these are formed in the beginning of the class that we all follow some codes to make working comfortable for all of us in the session. These are made with the consensus of the kids. Read here more.............
How do you discipline kids? What you do when two kids fight/ pinch/ push ?
Our belief: we do not know who , when , where started the fight so there is no point in punishing the one and not the other or punishing both !
Immediately separate them - gently. If any child is hurt - take care of the first aid. Allow them to sort their problem.
They are fighting because thats' the (best) choice available to them So we try to give them different choice - you can talk, write a note, move away if you are not liking and so on.
We take up these issues in circle time and follow it thru.
- Do not expect the problem to be solved so soon
- Try it differently
- Try it many times
Meet the child at different levels.
LEVEL FIRST- Understanding Child to discipline
1 Prepare: When I order you to jump - you are at loos. But If I tell you that jumping activates your brain and helps in learning so we will jump for 20 times - chances are that your are willing to jump - PREPARE the child for any situation.
2 EMPOWER : When you tell them to walk in straight line - they do not why? when you tell them HOW they can walk in sit line - they come up with their own solution.
3 Flow with nature - Flow with their nature - they need to jump - give them options to jump.
4 State pf mind - When they feel good about them they behave well - self esteem. Even when you as faculty feel good about yourself or anybody appreciate your efforts you are more open to feedback:).
5 Flexibility - Need to change the way I have been working.Also read, discuss when you are not able to find solution - do not live with it. Stress, panic leads to more stress. While flexible attitude leads to "solutions" - MY BIT.
LEVEL SECOND - Co-operation strategy
- Describe the problem - The paint is on the floor. Climbing on the chair is dangerous.
- Give info - There is another class getting disturb with the noise.
- Non Verbals or one words - shhhhh or say firmly "no biting" - one of the important non verbal is using something TANGIBLE - a small object, a paper, a lemon .. anything which relates and still makes the child focus on the behaviour without words.
- Offer choice -You can talk in the break time or when you go home.
- Put in writing -We will keep quite during class time. We respect others and do not disturb them
LEVEL THIRD - Alternative to punishment
- Logical Consequence
- Upstate and prepare - If I disturb the class I will sit and observe them. Let this come form child - guide him to find way and lead to commit - what if I do not not follow the code set by me (child).
- Related - I will see how others are doing activity. Again guide -if it is unrelated lead them to discover related solution.
- Follow it thru - Be firm and do it. Try to be MUM and no lectures. Do not use the consequence as threat. You cannot underline being firm - but this does not mean being harsh or rude. To be firm you also need to be self disciplined - cannot be firm when you feel or not firm when you do not feel like.
- Express your feelings - When anybody hit any child -it hurts the other child and I get upset.
- State expectations - I would like you to take care of each other.
- Give Alternative
- Stop - We cannot hit anybody.
- Start - When you want to hot anybody you can cross your hands or you can tell that you are angry.
- Give chance to Amend - How would you like to make that child feel happy - would you like to tell him, or make a card.
- Work together to find ALTERNATIVE - Let us see what all we can do when we want to hit anybody - draw, write, express, jump and so on
What do you do when one thing does not work?
When one thing does not work we move onto other. All kids are different and react differently. The basics of all discipline is to "respect" the child. And understand the child. Misbehaviour is just a symptom - we need to correct the root of the symptom not the behaviour.
Read more (2)
How do you handle complains?
- EMPOWER - Would you like to tell him what do you want him to do (not hIt you) ?
- EXPRESS - Would you like to tell him/ her how do yo feel when he/ she hits you ?
Codes are the guideline we follow to work together in the class.
We look at at the child – we do not see child any less or not capable. If we are making a particular rule/ code – we make sure they are made by the children in the session. Code in Geniekids are not made only by the faculty ALONE. When we treat equal – we respect. When we consider the child to be as respectful - it is the relationship of at par. Read more on codes.